Saturday, November 20, 2010

Expectations reveal our hearts.

J.I.Packer says that the Puritans allowed the Word of God to rip their consciences --  and we should do so more than we do.

Recently I read a verse in Zephaniah that ripped my conscience.
God says, "At that time I will search Jerusalem with lamps, and I will punish the men who are complacent, those who say in their hearts, 'The LORD will not do good, nor will he do ill.'"

It is a sin not to take God's wrath against sin seriously.   But it is also sin not to expect GOOD from God when we are seeking him with all of our heart.   Too often I have hard thoughts of God --speaking in my heart what the servant in the parable said after burying his talent: "I knew you were a hard master..."  

Lord, help me to take every thought captive to your Word so that I may live in expectation of your grace and favor.

No comments:

Post a Comment