Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Looking for a mentor to teach Christian counseling?

Several weeks ago David Powlison came to Bethlehem Baptist Church to speak on Christian counseling. My, oh my! He taught from II Cor. 1 about how people respond to suffering with worldly wisdom (despair, self-pity, revenge, anger, complaining, numbness, coldness, escape in its various forms, depression, self-righteousness, etc.). He then gave Paul's conviction that the intense sufferings in his life were to turn him from relying on himself to trusting in God. Since then I have been evaluating my own responses to pain in my life. Believe me -- I have lots of reason to be humble. And by God's grace I have been more deliberate about turning to God in my pain. Isn't that what the psalmist is doing when he says "The Lord is my refuge and my strength."?

Powlison has two excellent books that would be worth reading carefully and taking notes on: Seeing with New Eyes and Speaking Truth in Love. He says a short definition for Christian counselling is "wise love." If you want to love wisely, enroll in Powlison's class. It can be in your arm chair with a cup of coffee.

Also, the audio is available. Scroll down this Bethlehem Star to "recent audio" and there you will find the lectures that can be downloaded. God be with you and make his church full of people who love wisely.https://mail.google.com/mail/?shva=1#inbox/128983bc7babcb2f

No comments:

Post a Comment