Sunday, August 14, 2011

Raising Boys to Be Men

Here is an email I wrote in response to someone asking that question:
I am sorry to be getting back to you so late.
Did your family take in the 4-12 conference?

The best I can do right now on this important topic of raising boys is to recommend some excellent resources.
FULL of practical wisdom on how to transition our children out of the home life into the world, the following article is one of the most valuable I know of by the father of Josh, Bret and Alex Harris.
 
“Outgrowing the Greenhouse: A conversation with Gregg Harris”
www.hslda.org/courtreport/V25N3/V25N301.asp

Then I would also recommend Future Men by Doug Wilson and Raising Real Men by Hal and Melanie Young, parents of SIX boys.

Along a slightly different track, I would recommend "A Wise Woman's Guide to Blessing Her Husband's Wisdom" -- a lecture by Doug Phillips.  I think this is a very important lecture (At least it has been for me) because it clued me in (duh) on the fact that to give room for my husband to lead means that he may make some decisions that I would not have made.  (Can you believe it?)  The lecture helped me to see that I have at times been a discouragement to my husband leading rather than an encouragement.

God bless you and counsel.   Cry for wisdom and a teachable spirit.
Here is a quote from Thomas Brooks to encourage you:

"Your life is short,
your duties many,
your assistance great
and your reward sure;
therefore faint not,
hold on and hold up,
in ways of well doing
and heaven shall make amends for all."

Thomas Brooksmeone asked me about raising boys to be men.  Here is what I wrote.

No comments:

Post a Comment