Saturday, July 24, 2010

"I only know I must be brave...or die a coward in my grave."

In the movie High Noon, Tex Ritter sings "Do not forsake me, Oh My Darling."  Played by Gary Cooper, the hero is resolved not to run from criminals who are coming on the noon train to take over the town.  There are problems with the movie, such as Kane doing right not because God calls us to stand for justice but from some unexplainable inner sense (we can be good without God), and yet I love his fear of dying a coward.  Though his new wife urges him to skip town, he refuses -- at the risk of his life.  Thus his song to her:


Do not forsake me, oh my darling 
On this our wedding day 
Do not forsake me, oh my darling 
Wait, wait along 
I do not know what fate awaits me 
I only know I must be brave 
For I must face a man who hates me 
Or die a coward, a craven coward 
Or die a coward in my grave 

Oh, to be torn twixt love and duty 
Supposin' I love my fair haired beauty 
Look at that big hand movin' round 
Nearin' high noon 
He made a vow while in state prison 
Said it would be my life or hisn' 
I'm not afraid to die but oh 
What will I do if you leave me? 

Do not forsake me, oh my darling 
You make that promise as a bride 
Do not forsake me, oh my darling 
Although you're grievin', don't think of leavin' 
Not while I need you by my side 

Wait along, wait along 
Wait along, wait along


May God raise up an army of Christian men who hear God's call to fight for justice--exposing evil and defending the helpless--and deeply fear dying a craven coward in their grave.  


In the end Kane's new wife joins him in the fight.  May God raise up an army of women who will stand by their fearless fathers and husbands and cheer them on whatever the cost.,

No comments:

Post a Comment