Thursday, April 23, 2009

On the Edge of Canaan

Sometimes when I see more and more people spitting at God and His Holy law in our land, I am greatly tempted to fear. I feel like Israel on the border of Canaan. The giants are so big and the city walls so solid. But God sweetly met me this week with Deuteronomy 1:29-31: "Do not be in dread or afraid of them. The Lord your God who goes before you will himself fight for you, just as he did for you in Egypt before your eyes, and in the wilderness, where you have seen how the LORD your God carried you, as a man carries his son, all the way that you went until you came to this place."
Two days after reading the above quote I went back to that passage. That's when I discovered that God had said these words BEFORE Israel was sent to take the land. Guess what? After hearing these words, Israel DID NOT GO UP to take the land. And then God calls them rebels and murmurers and unbelievers. They actually accuse God of hating them and plotting their demise at the hand of the Amorites!
Grant me, O Lord, the courage of Joshua and Caleb to take the land. I repent of hard thoughts of you. Keep me from deceiving myself into believing that I can be AWOL and a soldier of the cross at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment